Well its a miracle. Everything seems to be OK now. All of the problems have just disappeared. One day she’s in pain and discomfort the next she’s running around and playing like a young pig. No more shots!! She’s gained back everything that she had lost and is as far was we can tell completely fine. No lumps, no cancer, no infections, no cysts, nothing.
What a relief but I really wish that it had happened sooner and that I didn’t need to put her through all of the pain. Sometimes having pets sucks but then you see them playing and you think that maybe it was worth it.
The last month has been stressful for Ripley and us. She started to have problems going potty so we took her in again and they decided that she needed to have a hysterectomy because of the cancer. So they did and when they had her open they discovered that all of the growths that had been there before were gone. The only thing left was a single lump which had moved. According to the vet cancer doesn’t move. So he bioposied the lump (and her bladder which I’m not happy about) and finished the operation.
So the tests are back and she doesn’t have cancer. Yay! But now we don’t know what has been the problem for the last few months which means we were treating the wrong things! I’ve been giving her shots three times a week and I probably didn’t need to. Now because of the potty thing we need to give her subcutaneous fluids. More shots! Argh! I feel so bad for her because she doesn’t understand. All she knows is that it hurts. When we go to give her the shots she gives us this look like “why dad?’ It’s breaking my heart.
It would be so much easier if she acted sick. Except for the discomfort at the time she goes potty she is happy, perky, and loves to run around. And then I have to pick her up and give her a shot. She no longer likes me because of this which is also painful. I just want her to be happy. She’s so sweet and innocent.
This is my guinea pig Ripley. Unfortunately she is dying. She has cancer. The last few months have been hard on my wife and I as well as Ripley. She is happy and acts normally about 95% of the time which makes us happy but the other 5% is unpleasant. The cancer metastasized from her ovaries though out her body and has begun to affect her urinary tract and intestines. Every time she has to pee or poo it causes her discomfort. Sometimes it seems very painful. To top it off we have to give her antibiotic shots three times a week to hold off infections brought on by the caner invading her system.
So what do we do? Do we look at it as she’s mostly happy and do the best we can to make her remaining time as enjoyable as possible or do we say that she shouldn’t suffer and that she should be put to sleep?
When is the discomfort too much? Deciding the fate of a poor innocent and unaware animal seems wrong but if we don’t who will? The thought of her dying in agony is unacceptable yet I don’t want to shorten the bright points. I really don’t want to make this decision and yet I don’t know of anyone I would trust to pass this responsibility on to.