I guess that I’m now starting up this blog again I should state that I have a new job since the last time.
Because of the volatility of the tech industry my prior company, RockYou let go about half of their staff and being one of the last ones hired I ended up being one of the ones laid off. I ended up with my new company VMware shortly after. I’ve been here for a little over three years working in the Cloud Automation Engineering group.
The specific group that I work for works on a product that basically installs applications into a cloud. Seems simple but when you consider that most cloud applications are running multiple parts in multiple virtual machines and that each one needs to be connected to the others, installation quickly gets complicated. It may require installing one part up to a certain point to get its connection information, pausing it, installing another part giving it the connection information of the fist part, and then resuming the first part again with more information. Multiply that scenario by 10 different parts and things get tricky fast. But if it were easy then I wouldn’t have a job. 😉
The product is vCloud Automation Center or vCAC.
A while back my blog died. I had no idea what went wrong and I had no wish to spend what would most likely be days of time figuring it out. Instead, I just let it languish. Over the years I tried half-heartedly to fix it but to no avail.
Things in my life have changed and I thought that I would at least try to extract the old posts and maybe move to another system. So I started the long process of getting into the database that holds the blog and after resetting several passwords and installing a new SSL certificate managed to get into the database. I found the right table and managed to extract the post data into an XML file. Now that I had the old posts I could start to create a new blog.
However, while I was there I figured I would try one more time to fix the existing one. I started by trying to update WordPress but that failed because of a password problem. I figured out how to get past that one and was able to upgrade to version 3.9 and then suddenly everything started working again. I still have no idea what went wrong or what upgrading did to fix it but at least I don’t have to start over.
Everything appears to be back the way it was and I was even able to activate some of the newer features that WordPress has added. The look-and-feel of the pages may change over the next couple of weeks as I adjust those new features and even play with a new theme (the one I’m using was called Classic several years ago).
At this point I do not really no where I’m going to go with this blog and I may give it up again–we’ll just have to see.